Tobias Vaughn. Tobias Freakin Vaughn. Tobias Vaughn is the man John Lumic wants to be when he grows up. Which goes a long way towards explaining why I liked “Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel” so much. Played by the truly wonderful Kevin Stoney, Tobias Vaughn is the main villain of “the…
Taking comfort in a good bit of Doctor Who, yep yep.
040 The Enemy of the World by David Whitaker
Illustrated by shh-im-wondering
Season 5, Story 4:
The TARDIS lands on Earth but in the near future. Ramon Salamander, an enigmantic politician and scientist is being heralded as ‘The Shopkeeper of the World’ thanks to relieving global famine. However, strangely all his political opponents keep disappearing. Stranger still: he looks identical to the Doctor!
Can the uncanny resemblance help the Doctor bring about the tyrant’s downfall?
STORY FACTS ~
- All but one part of this story is MISSING.
- It features the Second Doctor and companions Jamie McCrimmon and Victoria Waterfield.
- Patrick Troughton portrayed both the Doctor and his enemy, Ramon Salamander in this story.
- Seeing as William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton and Colin Baker have all portrayed the Doctor as well as another character, and that Romana also regenerated into a likeness of a character they had met before, it is possible to argue that Time Lords take on the appearance of other people in their time stream.
- This is the only story in the season which isn’t a “Base Under Siege story.
- The story takes place at a time when the world is ruled by the World Zones Organisation, and is divided into several sections.
- Patrick Troughton’s son David makes a cameo in this story. He would later start in the Tenth Doctor story Midnight.
- The final part of this story ended with a unique trailer for the next story The Web of Fear in which the Doctor broke the fourth wall and spoke to the audience about the Yeti’s return before running away from said creature. Unfortunately as with the rest of the episode, this trailer has been lost.
AUGH I WANT A GIF OF ACE PUTTING ON THE DOCTOR’S HAT IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!
These moments remind me why I love this show and this little Scot
I love how brilliant Jaime is. He may not have scientific background, but he can do the relevant math in his head and come to a correct conclusion.
Brief Doctor Who interlude: Poor Two
Help me! I want a gif of the human factor daleks going around and around Patrick Troughton in Evil of the Daleks. Now, I THINK that bit of the story exists in video, but IF IT DOESN’T…
This is your excuse to just make a little flash animation. All I need is daleks going around and around Patrick Troughton. That’s it.
Once I have the gif, it will go up as part of a post on The I Like Doctor Who Project. You will be credited.